A veganuary classic, tried and tested by the Claret28 team from Burnley
What difference does it make?
Sometimes we lack inspiration to cook new things, and here is an opportunity to score double points by completing a meat-free meal also.
What do you need?
- 350g spaghetti
- 350g frozen soya mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 stick of celery (finely chopped)
- 200g mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 100ml red wine (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 200ml boiling water
- Handful of fresh basil leaves (torn for garnish)
- Salt and pepper
Step by step
Heat the oil in a pan, and fry the onion and celery gently for five minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic, and fry for 2-3 minutes more.
Stir in the soya mince and add the tomatoes, tomato purée, red wine, tomato ketchup, dried herbs and stock. Cover and simmer gently for a further 8-10 minutes while you cook the spaghetti.
Check the seasoning and serve with the basil leaves scattered over the top.