A Veganuary recipe, tried and tested by Team Flo representing Burnley.
What difference does it make?
Sometimes we lack inspiration to cook new things, and here is an occasion of scoring double points completing a meat-free meal. Smart.
What do you need?
- For the burgers:
- 240g black beans (precooked - drained - rinsed and mashed with a fork)
- 50g oats
- 1 medium carrot (grated)
- 1 large onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil (divided in half)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (or just paprika)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- For the potato salad:
- 300g new potatoes (or any will be fine)
- ½ small red onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 tbsp capers
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
Step by step
To make the burgers, fry the onion gently in half the oil for 8-10 minutes until softened. Then add the garlic, spices and grated carrot to the pan. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring.
Add the peanut butter, and stir until it is combined. Then remove from the heat and mix in the mashed beans and the oats to form a thick paste.
Divide the mixture into four, and shape four burgers with your hands. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan,and fry the burgers for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
To make the potato salad, cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and boil them in water until just soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
Mix with the red onion, capers and mayonnaise.